Monday, June 25, 2012

K. Williams Hero

Today K. Williams joins my blog to tell us about her release Hero and has graced us with an interview:




Do you prefer your heroes/heroines to be perfect or flawed?
Perfect is boring. I think flaws are important. Not only do they make the character relatable, but they are something that the character has to overcome or learn to live with.

Would you date your hero if he was a real person? Why or why not?
I’m weird in that when I write, I get so close to the characters in my mind. So I’m gonna have to say no because it’d be like dating my brother or something. 

What sort of environment do you write in? Totally silent? TV in background? Playlist?
I write late at night, so I either have re-runs of old sitcoms (The Golden Girls, I Love Lucy, The Brady Bunch, The Nany, etc.) or I have Pandora playing.

How do you feel when people you know/meet find out you write erotica?
I do worry that I’m being judged, just because I’m in Texas and I write alternative erotica. Mostly, I just try to act like it’s not a big deal. If I don’t make it a big deal and they do, it says more about them than it does about me. The important people in my life know what I write and what it’s about and as long as they don’t care, others can think whatever the hell they want.

In three words, describe your favorite scene in this book.
That’s a really tough one. I guess I’d have to say: Sexy Skype chats.

Excerpt:
“Do I get a chance for a second date?” Aaron asked.
Oliver gripped the handle of the driver’s side door of his silver Prius. “Yeah, I’d like that.”
Oliver became suddenly aware of how close Aaron was to him. The tall soldier put his hand on Oliver’s hip. “I’m glad,” he said. His voice, eyes, his whole demeanor was seductive.
Oliver didn’t feel like he could breathe. He could feel the heat coming from the man. He wanted Aaron to kiss him. “You…you could kiss me,” he whispered, surprising himself.
Aaron smiled and gently caressed Oliver’s cheek. Oliver felt himself getting lightheaded as those full lips approached his. When they kissed, Oliver’s knees went weak. His lips parted and Aaron’s tongue gently probed into his mouth. Being in Aaron’s arms was everything Oliver had imagined it would be. He was sure that if Aaron asked, he would do anything the soldier wanted right there in the parking lot.
Aaron pulled away from the kiss and Oliver followed, stumbling forward into Aaron’s arms. Oliver could feel himself blushing. He finally regained the ability to stand on his own and stumbled back against his car door.
“You’re damn cute,” Aaron said. He kissed Oliver’s forehead. “Can I get your number?”
Oliver rattled off the digits, still feeling a bit lightheaded
Aaron smiled. “You have a good night, sweetheart.”
****
Aaron kept the mental image of Oliver after their first kiss in his mind as he settled down to sleep. For the first time since returning home, he slept with no nightmares.
He felt invigorated the next morning and got in an excellent work out. He was feeling so good that he called his mother. He knew she’d been worrying about him after the week he’d spent visiting on leave. He hoped that she felt better after their conversation. Aaron didn’t want his mother to worry. He didn’t mention Oliver to her yet, feeling it was too soon for that. When he hung up the phone, he was confident that his mom would be reassured.
Aaron took advantage of his good mood and started to run errands. He got his hair cut and went grocery shopping for the first time since getting back. He watched the clock. He didn’t want to call Oliver while the young man was at work and he also didn’t want to appear desperate. He decided that sometime in the evening would be best. It was hard not to stare at his watch as the minutes ticked by. Aaron was anxious to set up another date. His mind was glued on the little moments from the night before, like how his skin tingled when their fingers brushed over the chips and salsa and how Oliver had blushed at that every time, even when it became clear Aaron was doing it on purpose. There was something in Oliver’s eyes and the way he smiled that made Aaron feel like a human being again, instead of just some pawn in a war that was bigger than him.
****
Oliver spent the entire day wondering if Aaron would actually call. After getting off work, he turned the ringer on his cell phone all the way up, just so he wouldn’t miss the call. Around six, he got a little nervous. He felt a bit foolish, waiting for the call like he was. Aaron hadn’t specified that he would be calling today. Oliver knew he shouldn’t get all worked up.
He couldn’t figure out what it was Aaron saw in him. The man was undeniably gorgeous and yet had ignored the advances of the man at the next table to the point that Oliver wondered if Aaron had noticed it at all. Aaron had a way of making Oliver feel comfortable, which was no easy task. Then, there was that wonderful kiss that had absolutely swept Oliver away. He had to admit, he’d had his head in the clouds ever since, but it was time to come down. Oliver didn’t think the call would be coming.
Just when he was about to give up, his phone rang.

No comments:

Post a Comment